I know most of you won’t read this post because … here I am, AGAIN talking about cloth diapers. So on Tuesday I spent over $100 on 6 more cloth diapers (I already had 3). (I got mine from Meredith from GoGo Natural, who I HIGHLY recommend!) I am so paranoid about Nola getting a rash because of the rash he had when he was teething. So I really wanted to keep using bum cream even with the cloth diapers. I have a giant tub thing of Desitin so I thought I would just use the rest of this stuff then get something mother “cloth friendly.” HUGE MISTAKE! I washed my diapers after the first use and noticed my NEW diapers smell like fish! SICK SICK SICK!! I smelled them forever trying to figure out exactly where it was coming from and WHY! Then I noticed that there were extra white spots on the diapers from the Desitin and those were the stink spots. As usual, I consulted Google. First thing that popped up, Desitin has cod liver oil in it (what the hell for?) and it makes things smell like fish after being washed…First solution per Google, throw the item away that smells like fish. WHAT?! You have got to be friggin’ kidding me! No no no, there HAS to be another way… I did NOT just buy a $20 diaper that will be tossed out after the first use. Next solution, scrub in dish soap and the use some bleach in the wash… Which worked (thank god) after 30 minutes at the sink with a tooth brush and about 7 cycles with HOT water in the wash. La la la … and we will be back in cloth diaper business in a few hours or less since the diapers are drying in the sun and it is sweltering out there!
Another unintended result of cloth diapers… Nolan’s little shorts don’t exactly fit him right with the extra bulk of cloth diapers and the shorts are so tight that they significantly restrict his range of motion. It’s a good thing those diaper are super cute because most of the time I just throw a shirt on him and call it good.
And finally a shout out to cloth since I have been complaining about them a lot lately. I LOVE that they produce less waste. I’m not really a “green freak” we recycle and try to limit water usage and had a garden last year (being new parents was a little consuming this year) but I really feel like this is something I can do to help Nolan’s word be less filled with trash. And in the long run, it will save money. I get to be a stay at home mom and (so far) I only have one little one so I do have the time to do an extra load of laundry per day. To me it is worth it.
Hooray! We love cloth too. I am glad you persevered.
ReplyDelete